Saturday 25 February 2012

Just Ducky

 My friend Don runs a rescue for ducks, called      
  Arizona Duck Rescue 
I go out a once or twice a week on a "duck walk" with them. Some days that leads us to other adventures and venues besides the park. 
    Don has eight ducklings that are about eight weeks old (that's two months guys). I say that respectfully because, women almost always speak of their babies in weeks, then months until they're like three years old. At which point they become "three years old" instead of "thirty six months."  I think the 'weeks' thing is something we (moms) must learn initially from the doctor during pregnancy - the fetus is always referred to in weeks. (I never talked like that before I had kids)
     Don, on the other hand is quite literal and factual, so when asked, he says "Two months."
   This adventure starts off quite similar to the way it does each time we go to the park. They show up, I open the door and am floored and awed at the size of these 'accidental' (I'll explain that term shortly) ducks,' because they simply are growing way too fast..... 
      This is a "Park and Lunch" Adventure. Which means that we go the park and march these little guys around, tucker them out, and then find a fun place to have lunch, with either an outdoor patio or a something 'pet friendly.'
    Ducklings are definitely people magnets. Let's face it they're pretty darn cute! When  a group begins to congregate, we stop, so people can pet them and of course take pictures.



    On a previous outing to the park, of which I did not accompany; Don discovered some new faces in the water. These beautiful creatures are called Chinese Brown Geese. This time we stop to say "hello." 
They are extremely noisy birds. Don says he's pretty sure that someone abandoned them here, since they are also very friendly (an unusual trait for a wild duck, goose or other fowl). They seem to be getting on quite well in this park with the other birds. 
     This park is also a high profile park in Mesa that gets loads of visitors each week. I've never been here when the birds weren't being fed, but have since learned from Don, that not all domestic birds will do well in this kind of situation. So, if you have a bird that you simply can no longer keep, please call a rescue or a wildlife group in your area to help you relocate your pet.
After the park, we load up the babies and find some place for lunch. Today we end up at Schlotsky's Deli  
in Mesa, AZ (Brown & Higley). They have an outdoor patio. I've actually been to the original Austin, Tx location too - and it's just as awesome!
      While Don is waiting outside with the duckies, I go to the window to pick up lunch (gotta have the Scholtsky's original..Mmmm) 

and a woman asks the guy behind the counter
   "Do you always have those ducks out front?" He looks at her questioningly and I answer 
    "No. They're with me and my friend."
"I love ducks!" he says " I gotta see this." This is how we got to meet Warren. 
 It turns out that Warren (whom I believe to be the Manager at this store) is a duck lover from New York. 
    If you know Schlotsky's, you've seen this sign 
It apparently doesn't apply to ducks on the patio. And they got to enjoy some fresh baked sourdough. Thanks Warren.

   When people ask "What kind of ducks are they?" I can't help but reply 

  "They're accidental ducks." Here's how they came to be. Don has other ducks that he rescues and many of them are female and lay eggs. On any given day, there could be one or more clutches (a clutch is two or more eggs in a nest) of eggs in the yard. Once a male fertilizes the eggs, if they are not removed from the nest, they can be sat on and eventually hatched. 
    I'd like to think that everyday at the rescue would be like an Easter egg hunt, but I'm sure my friend would say "Really, Noelle?" and give me a dirty look. 
    So, during the daily 'clutch' hunt, a certain nest was missed (the mother hid it quite well) and Don found himself with a mixed breed of domestic ducks that I have consequently named the 'accidental ducks.' The following is a photo album of the growth of the 'accidental ducks' from two weeks to eight weeks


Two Weeks
     


 Six weeks


 Eight Weeks




Until these little "Baby Hueys" (the growth rate of these ducklings is not the 'norm') incur all of their adult feathers and traits, it will be hard to tell what kind of mix they actually are. However, the guess at this point is Indian Runner 

and Muscovy


     At this point in time, only two of the duckies have been named, as they are definitely female.


Cheers, until the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment